14 August 2012


Sunday night my grandpa called and we chatted for a good 20 minutes. During those 20 minutes he must have requested we come back home at least 10 times. It's nice to know we're loved and missed and that they'd take us back if it came to that. :)

There are times when I wonder if we made the right decision coming out here. I think whatever happens, we needed to at least give this a go. I hope things start working out like we planned, but if they don't, we tried and that counts for something.

One of our major hold-ups continues to be my lack of employment. It's a financial issue, sure, but even more than that it's a me-going-crazy-being-home-alone-all-day issue. I'm about ready to wave the white flag and bag groceries (seriously). At least it would be something.

Anyway, Steve's job seems to be going okay. I think it will get better as time goes on and he's able to get into the swing of things. He had a particularly eventful ride on BART the other day thanks to an aggressive crazy person. Oh the joys of public transportation.

So that's that for now.
m.

5 comments:

  1. You need in touch my my friend {and Sarah's} Christy and her sister Kelly. Christy lives right there in Walnut Creek and works for Clorox. Her sister has worked for Clorox, Apple and Northface right there too! THEY have amazing contacts. Like, seriously. Between the two of them they should be able to find you a job. Sarah said you do something with computers? Let me know if you want to see what they've got. The at home alone syndrome sucks. I did it for a year when I first moved to Scotland. Wanted to die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I appreciate that. Sarah actually got in touch with Christy. Unfortunately what is currently available is out of my league. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! I know that feeling of being home all day by yourself, and there’s only so much that’s interesting on the Internet. Although then you get a job and there are those days you miss sleeping in and doing nothing all day! :) It took me 5 months when we moved to Cali to find a job I liked. Out of desperation at about month 4 I took a call center job for one day…decided I never needed to return after that! Then the next job after that only lasted about 2 weeks. Then the job I loved - and it wasn’t a fancy job at all…was for a chiropractor as the front desk receptionist. It was probably one of my favorite jobs ever. Yeah, not fancy dancy, but it was fun getting to know the patients and the free back adjustments were a nice perk, and it helped pay the bills.

    It was great for us to get away from Utah. We were there a year before we decided Utah wasn’t so bad and that we actually missed this place and our families and decided it was best to move back. But the time we had alone in California is some of our best memories of our marriage, and we still miss a lot of things about it (minus the price of rent!!). The little day trips were the best (check out Santa Cruz, kinda ghetto but awesome at the same time!). And it’s amazing how close we got – the only person we had to depend on was each other, so it made us stronger and that much more in love and even more the best of friends. We were happy being little hermits too, don’t feel like you have to see and do everything all at once.

    You’re awesome Meg! Keep at it and something great will come along! If you have to bag groceries for a month, no worries, it may bring some funny memories in a few years. Maybe you’ll have some crazy cat lady whose cats prefer paper over plastic – yep, I remember there were a few weirdos who live there! :) Have fun and enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about the home-alone-all day thing...I would be going crazy too! There is a reason I will keep working after baby #2, and it's not about the money. I would go crazy at home all day. And I'm sure it's dreadful for you since you probably don't have all your fixer-upper tools to do some crafty projects in the meantime to boot!? I would definitely throw in the towel and bag some groceries! There is certainly no shame in keeping busy. My senior year of college I worked as a minion at Fazoli's...with a bunch of high schoolers. I certainly felt a little overqualified to be washing greasy breadstick pans at that point, but it was a fun job, nonetheless. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Suz and Tina. You guys are great and I really appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete